Summer Studentship Program
Spend your summer studying women's and children’s health
This program aims to encourage a new generation of talented young researchers to pursue careers in children's and women's health. Students receive invaluable, direct experience working on specific projects under the guidance of WCHRI members for three or four months during the summer. Funding of up to $1,300 per month is provided between May and August.
All applications to WCHRI must align with our relevance criteria in order to be eligible for funding.
- Undergraduate students (including medical education students) registered in a recognized degree program at time of application from any Canadian university may apply.
- Students must complete the WCHRI in-training membership requirements prior to submission of the application.
- Students must commit to the proposed research for a minimum of three months from May to August. Medical education applicants with 11 weeks available for summer research are eligible.
- Projects must be supervised by a WCHRI member and carried out at the University of Alberta.
- Supervisors may put forward only one applicant per year. Co-supervision is not permitted.
- Supervisors must be WCHRI academic members for not less than one year prior to application; except new recruits with an academic appointment of less than one year at time of application deadline.
The competition deadline is January 31, 2020 at 4 p.m. Applications must be submitted through the WCHRI 2020 Summer Studentship Program electronic submission portal. Late applications will not be accepted.
Priority call in mental health
WCHRI has committed one award to support summer student research in the area of women and/or children’s mental health. The application process for this priority call remains the same as for other applications.
FoMD studentship in placental research
We are pleased to offer the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry (FoMD) Studentship in Placental Research through this competition. This award, partnered with WCHRI, provides up to one full four-month summer studentship and is allocated to a top awardee whose work is directly in the area of placental research. Eligibility will be determined by WCHRI based on committee recommendation.
Application form and information
- 2020 Summer Studentship Program Guidelines
- 2020 Summer Studentship Program Application
- 2020 Grading Grid
Application information session
WCHRI will host an application information session on December 12, 2019. Register for this information session.
How to submit your application
- Complete the information requested in the portal.
- Upload your (searchable) PDF application.
- Submit your application by clicking on/selecting “Submit”.
- Download a copy of the application details.
Complete your submission
You must formally “submit” your application to WCHRI by the deadline. Application material that has been drafted and saved but not submitted will not be forwarded to committee for consideration.
Once you have submitted your application you will be offered the opportunity to download a copy of the application details you provide in the electronic submission portal.
Submit your application
For further information
Contact WCHRI grants administration at email@example.com.
We are proud of what our past students have accomplished in this program.