Manage your research projects online
REDCap is a secure, web-based application for building and managing online research projects. It uses an intuitive, streamlined process for rapidly developing data entry forms in support of many types of research projects, such as surveys, chart reviews, clinical trials, longitudinal cohort studies and more.
Using REDCap significantly improves data quality and security. It also eliminates the need to develop other project databases, which can be expensive and time consuming.
- Secure and web-based platform
- Simple form designer
- Downloadable data dictionary
- Data export with support for multiple file formats (SPSS, STATA, SAS, Excel, etc.)
- Built-in data quality tools, including data resolution (query) workflow
- Project calendar and participant scheduling
- Reporting tools
- Support for participant randomization
- Support for collaborative, multi-centre studies
- Locally hosted within the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry's secure data centre
Training and support
WCHRI provides regular training sessions free of charge.
Setting up REDCap
Initial setup of an empty project is free of charge. Researchers with available funding can request a quotation for WCHRI’s data management team to build and/or manage the project database on their behalf.
To request a free REDCap project please complete this REDCap request form.
To request a quote for fee based services please complete the research support request form.
It is a condition of WCHRI's licensing for REDCap that researchers reference REDCap in their publications. The following wording is appropriate:
Study data was collected and managed using REDCap¹ electronic data capture tools hosted and supported by the Women and Children's Health Research Institute at the University of Alberta.
¹Paul A. Harris, Robert Taylor, Robert Thielke, Jonathon Payne, Nathaniel Gonzalez, Jose G. Conde, Research electronic data capture (REDCap) - A metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support, J Biomed Inform. 2009 Apr;42(2):377-81.
REDCap is built and supported by a team at Vanderbilt University and is licensed by the Women and Children’s Health Research Institute on behalf of the University of Alberta. Additional information can be found on the REDCap project website.
WCHRI is able to provide free project setup and training through collaboration with the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry (FoMD) and the Northern Alberta Clinical Trials and Research Center (NACTRC).
WCHRI, in collaboration with the Maternal Infant Child & Youth Research Network (MICYRN), maintains a validated instance of REDCap for use in Health Canada regulated investigator-initiated clinical trials.
If you would like to learn more about WCHRI’s data management services and how they might support your project, email our research informatics team lead Rick Watts at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Find the next REDCap training session via our events page
- Register for a REDCap training session
- Request a new REDCap project
- Request a quote for billable services (database construction, data management, etc.)
- Locate additional information and support