Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
Supporting the next generation of researchers
The WCHRI Postdoctoral Fellowship Program is a new program targeted towards outstanding postdoctoral candidates seeking training under the supervision of WCHRI academic members who will provide a broad training environment focused on advancing women and/or children’s health. The awards, valued at $40,000 per year for two years (total maximum $80,000), have been funded through the generosity of our partners, the Stollery Children’s Hospital Foundation and the Lois Hole Hospital for Women. Successful candidates must demonstrate how this award will enable them to further their career goals in the area of women and/or children’s health.
All applications to WCHRI must be highly aligned with our relevance criteria in order to be eligible for funding. For this program, projects presenting with a focus on global health and/or breast cancer are not eligible.
- Applicants must possess a PhD, be accepted into a formal postdoctoral training program with a WCHRI academic member, and be within the first 36 months of their postdoctoral training at the time of application.
- All applicants must be physically located at a University of Alberta campus.
- Applicants must present with a project that directly relates to women and/or children's health research.
- Applicants must complete the WCHRI in-training membership requirements prior to submission of the application.
- Applicants may not concurrently hold/be on leave from a faculty position.
- Sponsoring supervisors/co-supervisors must have been a WCHRI academic member for at least one year at the time of application, except new recruits with an academic appointment of less than one year at the time of application deadline.
- Primary supervisors may only submit one application per competition cycle.
WCHRI Postdoctoral Fellowship awards are tenable at the University of Alberta only.
Institutional deadline compliance
All applications must be institutionally sponsored. Please ensure that you are aware of institutional deadlines for internal review and sponsorship. Please refer to your faculty research facilitator for signature processes and deadlines.
Priority call in mental health
WCHRI has committed one award to support research in the area of women and/or children’s mental health. The application process for these funds remains the same as for other applications.
The 2019 competition closes October 29, 2019.
- 2019 Postdoctoral Fellowship Program Guidelines
- 2019 Postdoctoral Fellowship Award Application
- 2019 Postdoctoral Fellowship Biosketch
- 2019 Postdoctoral Fellowship Grading Grid
Application information session
WCHRI will host an application information session September 19, 2019.
Lay abstract support
For help on writing a lay summary please see our lay abstract recommendations.
For further information
Contact WCHRI grants administration at email@example.com.