Spend your summer engaged in women and/or children’s health research
Summer Studentship Award Program information
This program aims to encourage a new generation of talented young researchers to pursue careers in women and/or children’s health. Students receive direct experience working on specific research projects under the guidance of WCHRI academic members for three or four months between May and August. WCHRI members (in training and supervisors) from all departments and disciplines whose research is relevant to women and/or children’s health are encouraged to apply. Funding of up to $1,300 per month is offered.
All applications to WCHRI must align with our relevance criteria in order to be eligible for funding.
Eligibility criteria is as follows:
- Undergraduate students (including medical education students) registered in a recognized full-time degree program at the time of application from any Canadian university may apply.
- Students must commit to the proposed research for either three or four months between May and August.
- Students must be willing and able to participate in the proposed research activities as per University of Alberta guidelines and policies, including information detailed in the University of Alberta’s response to COVID-19.
- Projects must be supervised by a WCHRI academic member.
- Supervisors must be WCHRI academic members for not less than one year prior to application, except new recruits with an academic appointment of less than one year at the time of application deadline.
- Co-supervision is permitted where the co-supervisor is a currently funded WCHRI Postdoctoral Fellow and the work proposed in the summer studentship application directly supports the research project supported through the WCHRI Postdoctoral Fellowship Award Program.
- Applicants and/or supervisors, including co-supervisors, may have access to and submit a single application only.
Program eligibility is established upon submission of the completed application access request and application forms.
Summer Studentship Award Program call for applications
In order to access the application form and support program requirements, the following applies:
- The applicant must submit the WCHRI Summer Studentship application access request form.
- An application form link will be sent to the applicant (in one business day) when all application access requirements have been met.
- Application form links are unique and specific to each applicant.
- Undergraduate students under the primary supervision of a WCHRI academic member are automatically WCHRI in-training members.
- Letters of reference are confidential and will be solicited directly by WCHRI from the referee.
- Institutional sponsorship will be solicited directly by WCHRI.
Program reference material
Application and deadlines
The application was a two-step process that included:
- an application access request form.
- The deadline for submission was January 7, 2022, at 4 p.m.
- an application form.
- Access was provided based on the submission of the application access request form.
- Letters of reference were required and solicited directly by WCHRI.
- The deadline for submission was January 28, 2022, at 4 p.m.
Application feedback is not provided for this program.
Please refer to the grants landing page for competition outcome timelines.
Contact WCHRI grants.