Spend your summer engaged in women and/or children’s health research
Summer Studentship Award Program information
This program aims to encourage a new generation of talented young researchers to pursue careers in women and/or children’s health. Students receive direct experience working on specific research projects under the guidance of WCHRI academic members for three or four months between May and August. WCHRI members (in training and supervisors) from all departments and disciplines whose research is relevant to women and/or children’s health are encouraged to apply. Funding of up to $1,300 per month is offered.
All applications to WCHRI must align with our relevance criteria in order to be eligible for funding.
Eligibility criteria is as follows:
- Undergraduate students (including medical education students) registered in a recognized full-time degree program at the time of application from any Canadian university may apply.
- Students must commit to the proposed research for either three or four months between May and August.
- Students must be willing and able to participate in the proposed research activities as per University of Alberta guidelines and policies supporting summer student engagement in research.
- Projects must be supervised by a WCHRI academic member.
- Supervisors must be WCHRI academic members for not less than one year prior to application, except new recruits with an academic appointment of less than one year at the time of application deadline.
- Co-supervision is permitted where the co-supervisor is a currently funded WCHRI Postdoctoral Fellow and the work proposed in the summer studentship application directly supports the research project supported through the WCHRI Postdoctoral Fellowship Award Program.
- Applicants and/or supervisors, including co-supervisors, may have access to and submit a single application only.
Program eligibility is established upon submission of the completed application access request and application forms.
Summer Studentship Award Program call for applications
Application and deadlines
The application is a two-step process that includes:
- an application access request form.
- The deadline for submission was February 5, 2021, at 4 p.m.
- an application form.
- Access will be provided based on the submission of the application access request form.
- Letters of reference are required, solicited directly by WCHRI.
- The deadline for submission was February 19, 2021, at 4 p.m.
A complete, current listing of all funding programs and deadlines is available on the WCHRI research grants page. Timelines for the WCHRI 2022 Summer Studentship Award Program competition will be available December, 2021.
Please refer to the grants landing page for competition outcome timelines.
Application feedback is not provided for this program. Formal notification will be provided to applicants on or before April 9, 2021
Contact WCHRI grants.