Supporting the next generation of researchers
Postdoctoral Fellowship Award Program information
The WCHRI Postdoctoral Fellowship Award Program supports outstanding postdoctoral candidates seeking training under the supervision of WCHRI academic members who will provide a training environment that specifically focuses on advancing women and/or children’s health. The awards, valued at $40,000 per year for two years (total maximum $80,000), have been funded through the generosity of our partners, the Stollery Children’s Hospital Foundation and the Alberta Women’s Health Foundation. Successful candidates must demonstrate how this award will enable them to further their career goals in the area of women and/or children’s health.
All applications to WCHRI must be highly aligned with our relevance criteria in order to be eligible for funding. For this program, projects presenting with a focus on global health and/or breast cancer are not eligible.
Eligibility criteria is as follows:
- Applicants must have a conferred PhD in keeping with UAPPOL Postdoctoral Fellows Policy and be within the first 36 months of their postdoctoral training at the application deadline.
- Applicants must be formally employed as a Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of Alberta, and actively engaged in doing the research proposed in this application, full-time.
- Applicants must present with a career development plan that fosters skill development specific to women and/or children’s health.
- Applicants may not hold or be on leave from a faculty position.
- Applicants must be under the direct, primary supervision of a WCHRI academic member. Where formal co-supervision applies, the co-supervisor must also be a WCHRI academic member.
- Sponsoring supervisors/co-supervisors must have been a WCHRI academic member for at least one year at the time of application, except new recruits with an academic appointment of less than one year at the time of application.
- Primary supervisors may only submit one application per competition cycle.
- Career development mentors are not required to be University of Alberta faculty.
All applications must be institutionally sponsored. Please refer to department, faculty and the Research Services Office (RSO) for RES account set-up and approval processes and deadlines. WCHRI Postdoctoral Fellowship Award Program funding is tenable at the University of Alberta only. Changes to institutional support must be reported to WCHRI without delay.
Postdoctoral Fellowship Award Program call for applications
Application and deadlines
The application is a two-step process that includes:
- an application access request form.
- The deadline for submission was November 24, 2020, at 4 p.m.
- an application form.
- Access was provided based on the submission of the application access request form.
- Letters of reference were solicited directly by WCHRI.
- The deadline for submission was December 1, 2020, at 4 p.m.
A complete, current listing of all funding programs and deadlines is available on the WCHRI research grants page.
Postdoctoral Fellowship Award Program application results
Please refer to the grants landing page for competition outcome timelines. View the 2020 Postdoctoral Fellowship Award Program competition results or view past grant awards and statistics.
For further information
Contact WCHRI grants.