Supporting the next generation of researchers
Postdoctoral Fellowship Award Program information
The WCHRI Postdoctoral Fellowship Program supports outstanding postdoctoral candidates seeking training under the supervision of WCHRI academic members who will provide a training environment that specifically focuses on advancing women and/or children’s health. Successful candidates must demonstrate how this award will enable them to further their career goals in the area of women and/or children’s health. These awards are valued at up to $40,000 per year and may be held for a maximum of two years.
All applications to WCHRI must be highly relevant to our relevance criteria in order to be eligible for funding. For this program, projects presenting with a focus on global health and/or breast cancer are not eligible.
Eligibility criteria is as follows:
- Applicants must have a conferred PhD in keeping with UAPPOL Postdoctoral Fellows Policy and be within the first 36 months of their postdoctoral training at the application deadline.
- Applicants must be formally employed as a Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of Alberta, and actively engaged in doing the research proposed in this application, full-time.
- Applicants must present with a career development plan that fosters skill development specific to women and/or children’s health.
- Applicants may not hold or be on leave from a faculty position.
- Applicants must be under the direct, primary supervision of a WCHRI academic member. Where formal co-supervision applies, the co-supervisor must also be a WCHRI academic member.
- Sponsoring supervisors/co-supervisors must have been a WCHRI academic member for at least one year at the time of application, except new recruits with an academic appointment of less than one year at the time of application.
- Primary supervisors may only submit one application per competition cycle.
- Career development mentors are not required to be University of Alberta faculty.
Program eligibility is established upon submission of the completed application access request and application forms.
Application and deadlines
The application is a two-step process:
- Application Access Request Form.
- The deadline for submission was November 2, 2022, at 4 p.m.
- Application Form.
- Access will be provided based on the submission of the application access request form.
- Letters of reference are confidential and will be solicited directly by WCHRI from the referee.
- The deadline for submission was December 9, 2022, at 4 p.m.
The 2022 Postdoctoral Fellowship competition results are now available.
Applicants and their supervisors were notified of their outcome on March 3, 2023. Feedback is included with the outcome notification.
View past results on our competition results page.
For further information
All Postdoctoral Fellows are to refer to the program information (including guidelines) and then refer questions to their supervisor(s) and/or mentor.
Supervisors that require program clarification are invited to contact WCHRI grants.