Supporting the next generation of researchers
Postdoctoral Fellowship Award Program information
The WCHRI Postdoctoral Fellowship Program supports outstanding postdoctoral candidates seeking training under the supervision of WCHRI academic members who will provide a training environment that specifically focuses on advancing women and/or children’s health. The awards, valued at $40,000 per year for two years (total maximum $80,000), have been funded through the generosity of our partners, the Stollery Children’s Hospital Foundation and the Lois Hole Hospital for Women. Successful candidates must demonstrate how this award will enable them to further their career goals in the area of women and/or children’s health.
All applications to WCHRI must be highly relevant to our relevance criteria in order to be eligible for funding. For this program, projects presenting with a focus on global health and/or breast cancer are not eligible.
Eligibility criteria is as follows:
- Applicants must have a conferred PhD in keeping with UAPPOL Postdoctoral Fellows Policy and be within the first 36 months of their postdoctoral training at the application access form deadline.
- Applicants must be formally employed as a Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of Alberta, and actively engaged in doing the research that will be proposed in the application at the time the access form is submitted.
- Applicants must present with a career development plan that fosters skill development specific to women and/or children’s health.
- Applicants may not hold or be on leave from a faculty position.
- Applicants must be under the direct, primary supervision of a WCHRI academic member. Where formal co-supervision applies, the co-supervisor must also be a WCHRI academic member.
- Sponsoring supervisors/co-supervisors must have been a WCHRI academic member for at least one year at the time of application, except new recruits with an academic appointment of less than one year at the time of application.
- Primary supervisors may only submit one application per competition cycle.
- Career development mentors are not required to be University of Alberta faculty.
Program eligibility is established upon submission of the completed application access request and application forms.
Postdoctoral Fellowship Award Program call for applications
Access to WCHRI application forms is established through a program-specific access request form that supports program requirements. The following applies:
- The applicant is required to complete and submit the WCHRI Postdoctoral Fellowship application access request form to access the WCHRI Postdoctoral Fellowship application form.
- WCHRI will generate in-training membership for all applicants based on applicant information provided in the application access request form.
- WCHRI will send the application form link to the applicant once access requirements have been met. The applicant is required to complete and submit the WCHRI Postdoctoral Fellowship application form.
- Letters of reference are confidential and will be solicited directly by WCHRI from the referee.
- Application form links are unique and specific to each applicant.
Submitted information is final and not subject to amendment. Late submissions and/or supplemental information are not accepted.
A complete, current listing of all funding programs and deadlines is available on the WCHRI Research Grants page.
Application and deadlines
The application was a two-step process:
- The deadline for submission was December 1, 2021, at 4 p.m.
- Application Form.
- Access was provided based on the submission of the application access request form.
- Letters of reference were solicited directly by WCHRI from the referee.
- The deadline for submission was December 22, 2021, at 4 p.m.
Postdoctoral Fellowship Award Program 2021 competition – Application results
Applicant feedback will be offered the week ending March 4, 2022.
A complete, current listing of all funding programs and timelines is available on the WCHRI Research Grants page.
For further information
Contact WCHRI grants administration at firstname.lastname@example.org