Engage patients and the community with your research
The Patient and Community Engagement Training Program (PaCET) aims to build the capacity of graduate students and postdoctoral fellows to conduct engaged research focused on women and/or children’s health. WCHRI facilitators and PaCET participants from a variety of disciplines form a “community of practice” to learn from one another as engaged researchers. The award is valued at up to $8,000 and may be held for eight months. This program is offered as a benefit of membership.
All applications to WCHRI must align with our relevance criteria in order to be eligible for funding.
Eligibility criteria for the PaCET Program is as follows:
- All applicants must be actively working on the proposed research.
- Applicants must be physically attending the University of Alberta and participating in the proposed research activities as per University of Alberta guidelines and policies supporting graduate student and postdoctoral fellow engagement in research.
- Applicants must be registered in a thesis-based graduate studies program or employed as a postdoctoral fellow, at the University of Alberta and in a health-related discipline, at the time of application.
- The proposed project must be the applicant’s graduate or postdoctoral fellowship research project and directly relevant to women and/or children’s health.
- Projects must be supervised by a WCHRI academic member, with experience engaging non-academic stakeholders in research.
- Applicants and supervisors, including co-supervisors, may have access to and submit a single application only.
Program eligibility is established upon submission of the completed application access request and application forms.
Patient and Community Engagement Training Program call for applications
In order to access the application form and support program requirements, the following applies:
- The applicant must submit the WCHRI-CUP Patient and Community Engagement Training Program (PaCET) application access request form.
- An application form link will be sent to the applicant (in one business day) when all application access requirements have been met.
- Application form links are unique and specific to each applicant.
- Graduate students and Postdoctoral Fellows under the primary supervisor of a WCHRI academic member are automatically WCHRI in-training members.
- Letters of reference are confidential and will be solicited directly by WCHRI from the referee.
Submitted information is final and not subject to amendment.
Late submission and/or supplemental information is not accepted.
Program reference material
Application and deadlines
The application is a two-step process:
- Application access request form
- The deadline for submission is April 14, 2023, at 4 p.m.
- Application form
- Access will be provided based on the submission of the application access request form.
- A letter of reference, solicited directly by WCHRI.
- The deadline for submission is May 5, 2023, at 4 p.m.
Access the application form
- Complete the WCHRI-CUP 2023 Patient and Community Engagement Training Program (PaCET) application access request form.
Please refer to the grants landing page for competition outcome timelines.
WCHRI does not provide applicant feedback for this program.
For further information
All applicants are to refer to the program information (including guidelines) and then refer questions to their supervisor.
Supervisors that require program clarification are invited to contact WCHRI grants.