Become a WCHRI-funded graduate student
Graduate Studentship Award Program information
The WCHRI Graduate Studentship Program offers competitively funded trainee support to outstanding students who are engaged in a full-time, thesis-based graduate-level program of study at the University of Alberta. The award is valued at up to $18,000 per year and may be held for up to two years. Students and their supervisors from all faculties/departments and disciplines researching issues related to women and/or children’s health are encouraged to apply.
All applications to WCHRI must align with our relevance criteria in order to be eligible for funding.
Eligibility criteria for the Graduate Studentship Award Program is as follows:
- All applicants must be actively working on the proposed research.
- Applicants must be physically attending the University of Alberta and participate in the proposed research activities as per University of Alberta guidelines and policies supporting graduate student engagement in research.
- Applicants must be registered in a full-time, thesis-based, graduate program in a health-related discipline leading to a Master’s or Doctoral degree at the time of application.
- Applicants may not hold or be on leave from a faculty position.
- Projects must be supervised by a WCHRI academic member.
- Supervisors must be WCHRI academic members for not less than one year prior to application, except new recruits with an academic appointment of less than one year at the time of application deadline.
- Supervisors may submit only one application per competition as primary supervisor; no more than two graduate students will be supported simultaneously for any faculty member as either a supervisor or co-supervisor.
Program eligibility is established upon submission of the completed application access request and application forms.
Application and deadlines
The application is a two-step process:
- Application access request form
- The deadline for submission was March 18, 2022, at 4 p.m.
- Application form
- Access will be provided based on the submission of the application access request form.
- Letters of reference, solicited directly by WCHRI.
- The deadline for submission was April 14, 2022, at 4 p.m.
A complete, current listing of all funding programs and deadlines is available on the WCHRI grants and awards page. Timelines for the WCHRI 2023 Graduate Studentship Award Program competition will be available February 2023.
The 2022 Graduate Studentship competition results are now available.
Applicants and their supervisors will be notified of their outcome on July 8, 2022. Feedback is included with the outcome notification.
View past results on our competition results page.
For further information
All students are to refer to the program information (including guidelines) and then refer questions to their supervisor.
Supervisors that require program clarification are invited to contact WCHRI grants.