Innovate in your area of research
This grant competition offers operating funds for research investigations that lead to improved health outcomes for women and/or children. All applications are peer-reviewed by one of the Biomedical Grant Advisory Committees or the Applied Health Grant Advisory Committee. Applications submitted to this grant competition may be either stand-alone projects or projects that provide preliminary data for future applications to provincial and/or national agencies. Funding of up to $60,000 is available for a two-year period.
All applications to WCHRI must align with our relevance criteria in order to be eligible for funding.
- The principal investigator must hold a full-time academic appointment at the University of Alberta
- The principal investigator must be a WCHRI academic member for not less than one year prior to application, except new recruits with an academic appointment of less than one year at the time of application deadline.
- Each principal investigator may submit one application (maximum).
All applications must be completed and signed by the University of Alberta on behalf of the applicant prior to application submission. WCHRI Innovation grants are tenable at the University of Alberta only.
Principal investigators currently holding Innovation grant funding must evidence, at the time of application submission, that the spend-rate and research progress for the previous award is a minimum of 75 per cent spent/complete before further eligibility will be considered (contact for further information).
The 2020 competition is now closed.
Summary of changes
Changes to this competitive program include:
- Amendment of program guidelines includes policy support of deferred funding commitments.
- Funding provided at the commencement of the award will not exceed 50% of the total award value.
- All awardees may opt to defer award starts by up to one year.
- Any awardee with current WCHRI Innovation funding will be subject to a deferred start.
- Applicant feedback will be accessible through REDCap; applicants will be contacted once documentation is accessible (week ending June 12, 2020).
For further information
Contact WCHRI grants administration at firstname.lastname@example.org.